Monday, October 19, 2009

Life notes

I'm at this point of the pregnancy where the nausea is getting slightly better, but the tiredness is *ss-kicking. Me, the lady who never sleeps during the day and almost never sleeps in, fell asleep on the couch Saturday afternoon. Let me tell you, friends, this is something worth noting because I probably haven't napped since The Boy was a wee newborn. Seriously.

Clearly I am Very Tired.

Being this tired also makes me grumpy, so the cars that cut me off and the co-workers who demand writing on unreasonable timelines and a child who is ... merely three ... get some sometimes inappropriate-to-the-situation irritatedness. And don't get me started on the sh*t that The Man has been putting up with, including the storms of tears over the weekend over the fact that I loaned my maternity clothes to my thoughtless sister who somehow managed to lose five pairs of pants. And a few shirts. You know, about $250 worth of clothes. Which is annoying and which makes me angry because this is not, as many of you know, the first time my sister has said or done something terribly thoughtless and hurtful, but five pairs of pants is not, in fact, probably worth three days of unremitting anger, and the entertaining of thoughts of cutting her from my life forever and ever and she shall repent until kingdom come, etc.

I suppose I should be grateful that she did provide me with four boxes of other maternity wear, but it's less exciting when every single pair of pants in those four boxes is a medium or large, and so don't fit.

(Yet. It's rather likely that they might by the time this is all over, given my propensity for weight gain in pregnancy. Which last time was in excess of 50 pounds, for the record. Probably close to 60, but the advantage of the midwives is that they don't weigh you, and I stopped weighing myself because I just didn't need to see the number. Healthy child far outweighs the weight gain, but I still didn't need to see my weight start with a 2 instead of a 1. In fact such a weight gain that a woman I met in a post-partum class at six weeks post-birth saw me again a year later and didn't recognize me, I was so much smaller. True story.)

Where was I?

Oh yes. Anyway as much as I desire at this moment consigning my relationship with my sister to the very depths of hell, I do think that some restraint might be nice. It's not so much that I think she didn't do a terrible thing -- I do. Frankly if I can say it, I treat casual acquaintances better than she has sometimes treated me. I do think that writing off people is a sometimes necessary evil, family or otherwise, and I have let friendships go because they are too poisonous, but this is someone I have to interact with for probably another 30 years, and I figure that I just need to keep my expectations for our relationship at rock bottom, and just let it go. She's not a friend, she's not someone I would be friends with were I not related to her, she's not a force for good and positivity in my life, but my mother and father are, and it's worth it to me to keep civil to make them happy. It's not worth the antagonism around the Thanksgiving table.

However, I admit with some sadness that once they are out of the picture, all bets for the continuation of our relationship are off.

Anyway after this dreary post, I do have a little bit of fun for you: my child, stir-crazy from a rainy Saturday, spend part of the day running about the house like a crazy person, dressed in only his underwear, making rocket / car noises, and holding an American dollar bill to the top of his head. I think this is why we have children. To remind ourselves of the absurdity of life.

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

Well, that sucks.

I would totally box up my maternity clothes from last time (almost all size S...) and send them to you, except I think they're in deep storage (that is, buried in our self-storage locker on the other side of town) and I don't know when I'd be able to get at them. Failing that, I recommend eBay ;).

Seriously, though, it is rough to get to that place where you feel like you need to write someone out of your life. I got to that point with my dad a few times, just because as much as I hated having (in effect) no dad, I just couldn't handle the relentless negativity anymore. Ultimately we ended up limping along with a relationship of sorts (founded on my understanding that I was going to have to be the grown-up in any such relationship because his emotional maturity had stalled out at about age three), and I guess I'm glad we had at least that, but really? There were so very, very few times in my post-childhood life that I got anything positive out of our interactions that I almost wish I could just erase all of it and just keep my memories of how great I thought he was when I was a little kid -- when our relationship was a (relatively) safe space.

Are you overreacting on the pants thing? Well, yeah, probably. One is not at one's most rational when pregnant and exhausted, as you point out. But at the same time, also not: it's not just the pants thing, it's the pants thing on top of thirty-mumble years of similar things and no end in sight.

If this were a romantic relationship people would tell you to forget it and move on -- but to be civil and cooperative for the sake of the kids. Which I think is basically what you're talking about doing -- keeping the peace for the sake of your parents and your relationship with them. It's hard, though, and both parties have to want to keep the peace or it gets even harder.

(Also: how do you lose five pairs of pants?? One pair, maybe, but FIVE?)