Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Quandary

I grew up in the house where anger does not live. Which is to say -- outright expressions of anger and calling people on inappropriate behaviour just does not exist. (Unless you're the mom and you're talking to a little kid. Not as adults.) Oh, it's ok to be snarky and mean, that's just fine, but telling someone calmly and rationally that that comment / action on their part was hurtful is simply never done.

We are a tad dysfunctional.

I also grew up in a house with a sister who I don't remember liking, or her liking me, for a single moment. I remember existing near her, I remember cooperating with her, but we have never been friends. We are in our mid-late thirties now, and we are still not friends. It has evolved to the point that when I have good news, or I'm in a crisis, or just want to talk to someone, it never even occurs to me to call her. She's not even on my radar. I have always wished to have a better relationship with my sister, but the fact is that I want a better relationship with a different woman, a woman she will never be (and just to be clear -- I'm not expecting she'll change. She is who she is, and there's nothing wrong with the person she is. It's just that my personality and her personality are not meant to be friends), and trying to be friends with a woman I simply don't see eye to eye with is a difficult struggle. It's hard to make my peace with it some days, but in the end I've learned to make friends with women and consider them my sisters instead of counting on my own sister.

Two days ago, I was on the phone with my parents and told them to good news. They said the usual things, but then my mother started in on my sister -- how I need to call her and tell her, and I'd better (almost threateningly) tell her before this weekend (Thanksgiving, for any of you who aren't Canadian, otherwise known as what used to be a pleasant family time, now fraught with tension).

And I just passed it by.

But then I emailed her a picture of my wee belly, and instead of emailing me back a few nice words, all she did was tell me I needed to tell my sister. Again.

Internet ... I'm hurt. I'm really thrilled about this pregnancy, and it wasn't totally easy to achieve, so I'm really excited about this. And selfishly, perhaps, I want this thing to be about me. I don't mind that she reiterated that I should tell me to tell my sister, I'm just hurt that she couldn't say one. single. nice. thing about the pregnancy. A "we're so thrilled!" or "You must be so happy!" or even a short "congratulations again!" or something.

I've been making a lot of personal changes over the last year, and there's part of me that just wants to end this bullsh*t that my family lives in of not calling each other on behaviour and comments. I think in the end if I could get people on board, it might make us a nicer, closer family. And so I want to write back and tell her that it might be overly sensitive, it might be selfish, but I'm really, really hurt that she didn't take a second to say something nice.

But I'm terrified. I've never done this with my mother. Or my sister, or father, for that matter. With any of them. And I'm not sure I want to deal with the fall out.

I'm not sure what I think the fall out will be. I mean, she's my mother, I don't think she's going to disown me or never speak to me again. But she might be hurt, and she might tell me so, and then I'll feel awful and never want to say anything ever again. (See: dysfunctional family, fear of saying the wrong thing, terrible in an argument, and related.)

So! Please tell me: What would YOU do??

5 comments:

wealhtheow said...

You do not want my counsel on this. Because, as you can probably guess, I strongly suspect that I would complain to DH, be quietly hurt, and never mention it to the offending party.

Which in fact is exactly what I did the time my dad almost didn't come to my wedding, and the time I phoned him with my happy news and he said "Well, maybe it'll be a boy this time!", and ...

I actually came right out and had a fight with my mom this summer, though, when she invited a total stranger (I mean, a total stranger to me) along on our family trip to Drumheller, totally on the spur of the moment without consulting anyone else. And it hurt her feelings, and she guilted me a bit by pointing out that I had totally invited my friends over to her house; but she did manage to see it from my point of view and somewhat understand that (a) having a total stranger along does change the dynamic, (b) although she is a complete extrovert and enjoys this sort of thing, I am a complete introvert and often don't, and (c) that I ASKED FIRST. The friend still came, though -- my mom offered to uninvite her, but I pointed out that that would be really rude and churlish and that we would both feel guilty about it, so she didn't.

Come to think, I had another fight with my mom on that trip, about SP's eating habits. (Said fight took place right in front of SP, which is the part I really regret.)

Both times I cried. I hate that.

Soja said...

Yes, but our families are not your family. I wouldn't say anything to my mother, it wouldn't be worth the hassle and it wouldn't make any difference. But she is not the same person as your mother.... I haven't seen one of my sisters in years, at my grandfather's funeral, it is likely I won't see her again until one of our parents die. I'm fine with that.

But hey - congratulations again!! I wish I was closer...

hugs, x x x

AvenSarah said...

Just to give a different perspective -- and of course Soja is right, my family is not your family -- I would, in your position, either email or phone my mom and tell her that I was hurt. Probably email, so that I wouldn't cry (because I tend to do so in emotional situations, even if I'm not actually sad or angry, it's just a reaction). And, in my family, that would probably result in her apologising, and, frankly, probably talking about it ad nauseam, and very delicate, overly sensitive tiptoeing around, trying to be perfect, for a while afterward (on her part, and then on mine, as I tried to reassure her that I wasn't actually devastated beyond recovery, and forgave her, and still loved her, etc.).

In other words, the problem I have with my family is actually that people want to talk about their feelings and interactions more than I generally do, but that's mainly because I don't easily insult or get my feelings hurt, not because I'm reluctant to call people on it.

Btw, that's not to imply you're overreacting -- I'm pretty sure I would feel exactly as you do in a similar situation. It would absolutely hurt me if my mother didn't react to that news with congraulations etc.

Don't know if that helps, but that's my answer!

JS said...

My mother disowned me around December 2006 so I'm not much use either.

However I am reminded of the phrase "To thine own self be true". If it is eating you up, you need to do whatever it takes to relieve yourself of those hurt feelings. I wonder if saying something to your mum like "I'm certain I'll be speaking to [sister] soon and absolutely I'll let her know. But beforehand, I really want to share my excitement/joy/happiness with you. Isn't it wonderful?"

Again, I haven't spoken to my mother in 3 years and I have no idea how real families even interact, so....

Jen said...

(Disclaimer on my opinion: I came over here from three blind moose just now so anything I say could be useless but you asked for advice and I can't help but respond when people ask for advice)

My family honestly sounds like the exact opposite. If we suffer from anything it is not thinking before we speak and ending up saying things that we shouldn't. So it is hard for me to relate. But it seems as though you've given this a lot of thought and I think the best thing to do would be to call her up and tell her what you are feeling as calmly and rationally as possible. Then it is really up to her to decide if she wants to open up the lines of communication and really discuss the issue(s) at hand. If she shuts you down or brushes off your concern, then I guess at least you will feel like you've tried, made some effort to resolve it. In summary, I would speak up...it sounds like you are ready to.