Saturday, October 24, 2009

Shopping spree

My mother met me at the hair salon, where I had a cut, deep condition, and eyebrow shape (on the idea that I *feel* awful these days, but I don't have to *look* awful too, and heck it might just make me feel better if I look in the mirror and don't see someone who looks like they need a good shot of caffeine. And / or a stiff drink.)

We went for lunch, and then to a nearby childrens / maternity consignment store, where I found a single pair of pants that fit -- but still, a single pair means I'm up by one. We then went to another nearby retail store, where I found two pairs of pants and an assortment of shirts and now that we've together spent roughly what I did last time for clothes, I'm well outfitted for the next few months. I am sitting here now in some yoga pants she found for me at a consignment store near where she lives, and am more comfortable than I have been in *weeks*.

The clothes are nice, actually, and I think they look pretty good too, and I'm looking forward to a few weeks of looking cute and pregnant. Early pregnancy I think is nice -- you are obviously pregnant (or, *I* am) and yet that's the only part of you that's large and you still look small and unthreatening. Unlike at the end when I look like I'm going to explode.

We also bought at the consignment store a new pair of very nice shoes for The Boy, on sale for less than half price (because kids shoes either fall into the "cheap and fall apart before they grow out of them, which is UNBELIEVABLY fast" or the "more expensive than my shoes, and so well made that they look like new after he's grown out of them, also UNBELIEVABLY fast" category, so good quality consignment is huge), and ... drum roll please ... a costume for Halloween of Black Spiderman (or Venom, as I believe he is know outside three year old lingo). You can imagine the excitement when I got home.

And despite the fact that I arrived home with $200 in new clothes ... I was more excited to see how thrilled he was with his new $12 purchase than I was over everything else that I bought. Ah, motherhood.

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

Score!!!

You're going to send me pics of Black Spiderman, right? :D

We did Halloween costuming today, too. First SP and I hit the local dancewear emporium, hoping for a reasonably priced long-sleeved royal blue leotard; we emerged, naturally, with a hideously expensive short-sleeved light blue leotard (sometimes you just have to take one for the team). When we got home SP dug out my red chiffon skirt from Modern Dance class (circa 1984) and the red cape and Super S my brother wore for Halloween sometime in the 1980s from her dress-up bin, and DH touched up the S on the cape with red Sharpie while I stitched the other S onto the leotard, and now we have a Supergirl costume!

Pain in the butt, but such a relief from years and years of princess outfits ...