Monday, October 5, 2009

Oh, honestly

When will health practitioners learn that getting your underling to call patients -- especially patients who are pregnant -- and telling them that "we got the results of your tests and need to see you" is NOT OKAY when said person is dealing with a BABY??! Especially since then said person is not allowed to say ANYTHING ELSE, like, how about "the baby is fine, this is just about the next ultrasound and who is ordering it and there is nothing wrong."

Luckily I have a nice doctor who did in fact take time from her day to call me, after I told the receptionist that I was "freaking out" because "it's a BABY!" and she resolved the issue. And no, there is nothing wrong with the baby that we know of. But please! You honestly think I would have waited for three days to find out what the issue was?? DO YOU NOT KNOW ME AT ALL?

Oh, and I got the "please be careful with the swine flu" talk as well, which is frankly the one reason I was a little concerned with being pregnant this winter. I am lucky in that I have a job that can involve very little contact with people, and can be done from home, so I can isolate myself that way, but I have a partner who uses public transport, and a child in DAYCARE, so my hopes of total isolation are really laughable. I was all set to get vaccinated (normally I don't bother with flu shots, preferring to use my own immunity, but this year, with the baby, and the possible complications, and the possible seriousness of this meaning a bed shortage ... didn't seem worth it) until I heard that they are using thimerosal in the vaccines. Now I don't know about you, but if I'm going to expose my unborn baby's brain to unnecessary mercury, it's darn well going to be through one of my favourite tuna sushi rolls so I can ENJOY lowering my kids IQ; I'm damn well not doing it for a shot in the arm. (I'M SO KIDDING!!!!) What I mean to say -- if the darn thing is going to poison my baby, I'm really undecided on the "possible hospitalizing complications" vs "baby poisoning" issue.

Anyway, I did at least learn that there will be a mercury-free version available for pregnant ladies. So there's your public-service announcement for the day.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Uggh, how could they just leave you hanging like that?! So cryptic and unnecessary. I'm glad your doc called you back.

wealhtheow said...

I HATE that. Sheesh. (I'm glad everything is OK as far as we know.)

Of course, having the receptionist not phone you for three weeks about your abnormal glucose tolerance test results is also not cool. (Fortunately, the abnormal result turned out to also be the receptionist's fault: she told me it was fine to eat breakfast before the test, and of course it wasn't. Which I'm sure I could have figured out, had I not been pregnant and therefore unusually stupid.)