Friday, April 9, 2010

Walking

From my reclining position on the couch, I look outside and see sunshine and blue sky. I'm told by reliable reporters that it's cold out, and not that nice being outside, but all I really want to do is go outside for a walk.

Actually to be honest I'm a teeny tiny bit excited about work right now, and so I've been working all morning and not pining about the outside. But tomorrow? Tomorrow I will want to go outside. And I probably will. But walking along the beach on a sunny day and sitting bundled up in your backyard are not quite the same thing.

When I was first pregnant with this baby, I tried to get out and walk as much as I could. It helped the tiredness and it helped a little with the nausea to get outside, and plus it was just plain old good for me. I would walk at work, through a small grove of trees, and I would talk to the baby and tell him or her to stick around, because if he / she did so, I'd walk there with him / her when she was out and show him / her all the nice things.

It's just one of those things that hormones makes you do.

And to be honest, one of the things I am most looking forward to with this baby is getting outside and going for walks. I did that almost every day of my mat leave with The Boy, and I remember those walks as some of the nicest times of my leave. And since The Boy was an early March baby, we could do that no problem for six months or so of his life. And more, of course, weather permitting.

Sitting here, baby moving lazily within, confined to the indoors, makes me wish forward for those times even more so than I was before. Hopefully some day soon I will be able to do that. Oh, not for another three weeks or so at the very least -- one week before baby is really ready to arrive, and two weeks for me to recover from the birth enough to walk around. Still. It's tangibly close. A month from today I could conceivably be putting this wee babe in a carrier, bundling up, and heading for a nice slow walk in the sunshine.

It's thoughts like this that make this waiting just a little easier.

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

Walking with a baby ... I miss that ... :)