Saturday, February 6, 2010

Baking for breakfast

This morning's new gluten free adventure was from a new site that I found this week -- someone who, like me, wanted some whole grain gluten-free baked goods. I found a recipe for quinoa flake pancakes and since I still have a continuing obsession with the grain, I thought -- perfect! Not only healthy, but the quinoa flakes might make a baked (fried) good that was similar to oatmeal pancakes / oatmeal muffins. Worthy of an experiment, because those are pretty yummy.

(I'm not eating oats right now either; we didn't have time to experiment with oats before pregnancy, and now I don't think I'll be able to be sure if oats cause a problem or if it's a hormonal issue or something else, so I'm waiting until post-pregnancy to test.)

And they were ... meh. I can't pinpoint the problem. Maybe just TOO quinoa-y. Too much of a good thing, you know. Most of the recipes I've tried before have been quinoa mixed with other things; this one has a CUP of quinoa flakes and a bit of another flour to bind. Or maybe it was the baking powder; it tasted like too much baking powder.

Or maybe it was the fact that I substituted honey for the sugar it called for; breakfast pancakes, to my mind, should taste slightly sweet (not like dessert pancakes, but a little sweet.) In light of next week's test I've decided to try to cut out all refined sugar for the week and see if a.) I can stop craving it, because I've been eating a lot of it lately and b.) it helps me pass the test. (Of course, if I DO pass the test without refined sugars, I suppose it would be a good idea to keep it up ... and in which case I've kind of made the test pointless, given that I'm going to keep my diet strict for the remainder of the pregnancy, which was, ironically, the one thing I DIDN'T want to do.)

Anyway. She has another recipe for whole grain muffins which I intend to try later today or tomorrow. If they are good, I'll keep a watch on the site for more; if not, guess I'll just chalk it up to someone with different tastes than me.

But damn, I hope the muffins are yummy. I could use something carb-y that I could actually eat. Sigh.

No comments: