Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The first year The Boy was in daycare, he was sick almost constantly. Most of the time it was mild -- it was just like one cold that got a little better and a little worse for months on end. He had a mild bout of pneumonia which we caught very early, thankfully, but other than that, nothing serious.

And then the second winter, he didn't have a single sick day. Seriously. Not. One. I was all busy patting myself on the back for this one. My extended breast feeding and his exposure in daycare meant that he had developed an excellent immune system! Excellent parenting!!

Ha ha ha.

This winter we've had two vomiting illnesses and we're on our second (or extended?) cold that's bad enough to stay home. I even bit the bullet and went to the doctor this morning, because this cold just will. NOT. go away. And it's just a cold, as I suspected, but it was good to rule out anything more serious. But he's worn out and tired from the coughing keeping him up at night. And we are home today. (which isn't so bad given I am also awake from the coughing and too tired to be any good at work today!)

I am more realistic now. The second year in the same centre was probably all it was; really now I just need to realize that each time he switches environment we'll have a winter with a few more colds. And I also need to realize that a few colds and mild vomiting incidents are really pretty good all things considered.

I am merely hopeful now that, next winter, the second in this care centre, will be a little less sickly. Especially important with an infant around.

In the meantime, given that now they've pretty much gotten rid of every damn thing you can medicate your child with, we're just bringing out the honey and the humidity, and hunkering down hoping for the best ...

No comments: