Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Welcoming the world

I started off what was meant to be a humorous post about the Olympics taking over the city and it turned into a three or more paragraph rant about the insanity and the elitism and the cost and the absolute pointlessness of holding these silly Games, and I thought ... you know, one of my resolutions for myself is to TRY and be less negative, and to let some of the things GO. (really? says The Man. This is news to me!) So I erased it.

But I will leave you with one amusing anecdote.

The busses in Vancouver are all getting ready to be one of the official transportation methods of the games, since parking is in short supply everywhere. So across there electronic boards that usually announce route number and name, they are also including cheery sentiments such as "welcome to canada!" and "Go for Gold!" and other such things.

But they are also, in their usual fashion, responding to rush hour demands, which in this city means often carrying passengers in one direction, but not in another. So now the busses read "Welcome 2 Canada! Sorry, not in service!" which really doesn't strike me as terribly welcoming.

Ah well. Can't have it all.

No comments: