Sunday, February 28, 2010

Canada's Game

I don't watch hockey.

I don't sit down every Saturday night and watch the game. I have no idea how my home team, the Canucks, are doing. The only reason I knew how the Leafs were doing when I lived in Toronto was that I lived near a street where people would drive home from games, blowing their horns if Toronto won. I couldn't name a single player on either team. I barely register if the uniforms change, and I have serious concerns about how much we pay professional athletes.

And I doubt that will ever change.

We're a nutty people. We love to watch people move really fast and aggressively on ice, plowing into each other, slamming against the boards, getting into fist fights, and chasing something the size of a child's toy with sticks.

But.

I will of course be sitting myself down in front of the computer at noon to watch what it likely to be the most-watched sports event in Canadian history.

I think it's nutty. But I expect I'll be screaming myself hoarse anyway.

No comments: