Monday, February 22, 2010

Clearly large

Today I went to the Olympics. But that's not what I wanted to talk about.

I went to the Olympics by public transit, loaded up with food for the hours-long afternoon. So my bag was heavier than normal, filled as it was with three apples, some grapes, a bag of trail mix, and a peanut butter sandwich (all of which I ate during the afternoon, might I add, as well as a granola bar which I found in my jacket pocket. And a litre and a half of water). This added weight caused me to brush it against my head as I lifted it over my head. Against my ear, in fact, against the stud in my earlobe, which detached itself and fell to the ground. I was ten minutes from my bus, so I only had a limited amount of time to look for it. I found the stud, but not the backing, which is not surprising given their relative sizes, and I just had to leave instead of keeping on looking.

I've had the studs a good long time, so I figure, well, I can always buy new ones. Not so great, but I guess they've done pretty well for me. C'est la vie.

I walked two blocks to the bus stop, pausing along the way to get myself the first of three bottles of water. I waited at the stop, got on the bus. Went a dozen blocks, got off the bus. Walked to a second stop. Sat down. Waited. Got on the bus. Sat down. Moved seats because the guy who sat down beside me had just finished a cigarette and STANK (I cannot stand the smell of cigarettes normally, after an unfortunate vomiting incident once in university, which cured me from ever smoking again. Which I'm sure was a good thing, although I hate breathing bad / stale / smoggy air so much that I'm not sure I would ever have become a smoker at all. But that experience really did seal the deal. And now in pregnancy ... the stank is WORSE THAN EVER.)

And only then did I look down at my stomach .... to see a small bump under my shirt. I pause.

Huh. That's not my belly button, nor is it the top of my yoga pants.

Did I drop a crumb down my shirt while having lunch? Hmmmm. I reached up my shirt ... to find the earring backing. It had fallen into my shirt, and through all that walking and moving and shifting position, had remained STUCK between my shirt and my belly.

I was very much hoping that this shirt would make it until the end of pregnancy, and now I fear perhaps that is not so much so.

Ah well.

(Compounding this discovery was then my mother taking a photo of me and my sister at the event, and my looking at the photo only to realize GODDAMN I AM HUGE. I guess you just don't notice it while living it every day. I only see the top view, after all. The front / side is getting astonishing.)

No comments: