Sunday, February 28, 2010

My first conversation of the morning*

The Boy: Mom, what if it rained earwax? (1)

Me: Ew! (2)

....
Me: Would it be your earwax or God's? (3)

TB: *I* don't know. (4)

Me: Well, you think about that. (5)

....

TB: I think it would have to be someone who lived up in the sky. (6)

Me: Like God.

TB: (unenthusiastically) Yeah. .... (with considerably more enthusiasm) Or maybe SANTA!! (7)

* complete with footnotes!
1 Can I get a "what the hell, kid??"
2 Good answer, mom.
3 Seriously? You're going to continue this conversation??!
4 Better answer. Let's STOP THE MADNESS.
5. Now, I say this a lot because it's a good way to buy time when I'm driving / cooking / concentrating on something else, but PLEASE. STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP.
6 Well at least someone's exercising some logic here.
7 Yet again my superior religious education shines through. In my son's mind, "red-robed, portly gentleman who delivers toys once a year and perpetuates commercialization of religious holidays" and "omnipotent, omniscient deity who created the world and whose every commandment we should obey" are EQUAL. In fact Santa seems to have the edge.

No comments: