Monday, January 4, 2010

Academe

Some many years ago, as I sat and contemplated my future prospects, I emailed my undergraduate supervisor, and asked him bluntly -- if I pursue a doctorate in this area, will I find a job in Canada?

He answered: no.

He was kinder to me, I think, than many, at least according to this article, which suggests that many academics tell hopeful students that there is much hope for work, that retirements will ensure a steady need for humanities professors. And that fewer than 50% of them now find work, given retirement jobs are not filled, hiring freezes are in place, etc. A cousin of mine is in this situation -- he has worked as an adjunct for many years now, moving from town to town. It doesn't sound like fun.

Oh, I think still that perhaps had I changed my area I might have found work; I know others who have. But I didn't think at the time that spending four or five years in something I wasn't extremely passionate about -- not to mention teaching it for the rest of my life -- was worthwhile. If I was going to dedicate my life to something, it had to be something I loved.

Of course, I've currently dedicated my life to something else that I'm not sure I love, so there is that drawback. I mean, I love writing, so I guess in a way I'm dedicated to a love, but what I'm writing is generally not an area about which I would wax poetic.

I think my cousin would argue that it's worthwhile to be doing something you love. And frankly part of me agrees with him. At least the part of me that looked at my to-do list today and sighed.

I still plan to do it, someday. I plan to go back and get that doctorate I wanted. I can do it after retirement. For me, it's like that novel I want to write: it's something I want to do for me. It's something that it doesn't matter when it gets done, or even if it gets done if something else I'm passionate about -- raising children, perhaps, or a new career turn -- takes precedence.

Still. No matter what, there's part of me that wishes for the alternate life I could have lived, and wonders just where I would be now had I not heeded his advice, and just taken a chance.

1 comment:

AvenSarah said...

I hope I'm not coming from a place of too much cynicism/despair, but I think you made the right choice. Or A right choice, anyway. Even in a dream job in academia, much of every day's to-do list isn't going to be very appealing... and there are so many, many trade-offs. In particular, choice of where you live...