Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Completely unrelated thoughts

1.

This afternoon driving home, I saw a cherry tree in bloom. And then this afternoon after I parked, I walked out of the garage to the most amazing smell .... following it, I saw that the large jasmine bush outside the neighbours was in bloom. Glorious.

But hilarious that ... I mean, I've lived in Vancouver for seven winters now, and this is BY FAR the earliest I've ever seen signs of spring.

The year of the Olympics.

The universe has a sense of humour, indeed.

2.

On the package of rice we recently bought, there is a large label that proclaims it "GLUTEN FREE!" I love the fact that there are so many gluten free products out there, but this is really becoming the new big thing. Like fat was twenty years ago, remember when they used to put "fat free!" on things that had never had fat in them, like, I don't know, applesauce? Since when has rice had gluten? I mean, come on, if you are serious about avoiding gluten, you already know that rice is gluten free. But I do appreciate the gesture.

3.

My son loves to give presents. He loves to wrap things up and pretend that they are presents, anyway, and on occasion he gets me real ones with the help of his father. Tonight he brought me the present from his Christmas lego set. And then went back with the present crate to get more presents.

Soon afterwards, he brought me another relic of the Lego Christmas advent calendar. The remains of the lumberjack.

Yes.

My son brought me A SEVERED HEAD AND A CHAINSAW as a present.

I admit I laughed so hard I couldn't speak for a moment.

He has decided my reaction was a good one, and has since brought me three more heads. I hope this isn't a sign of something. Really, we are a nice, normal family. I swear.

1 comment:

erin said...

That IS pretty amusing, those poor Olympic organizers. They must be freaking out!

Also, it does appear that gluten-free is the new marketing thing. I noticed it on a box of Rice Chex. The thing I don't fully understand is do people know it's not a lose-weight-diet? I mean, I'm sure you'd lose weight being all gluten-free, but that's not why it's important or what it's about! It's about healing your gut! Damn marketers.