Sunday, January 3, 2010

Confession

I am totally embarrassed to admit that today, for the first time (that I remember) in 35 years, I bought shoes that are neither brown nor black. For the longest while I was too poor (university, grad school, first job) to buy anything that wasn't wearable with everything; and then soon after I had enough money to be more adventurous I had a baby and it just seemed frivolous again. But I got a raise late December, and dangnabit I went and bought shoes that are red. RED. I love them. I will wear them every day.

You know, except for those days I don't have an outfit that will go with red shoes.

If this coming baby is a daughter, I will encourage her to always own at least one pair of shoes that are fun only, and not practical. Something red, or pink, or bright blue.

Although to be fair, I will probably, being me, also encourage her to be practical, and make sure she has a pair in black that go with everything.

No comments: