Sunday, January 31, 2010

One dollar well spent

Yesterday The Boy was recovering from a brief but nasty vomiting illness that occupied us Friday evening, so was neither sick enough to sit quietly, nor well enough to be taken out to public places.

And it was rainy. So I scoured the internet for "Things to do with your preschooler indoors" and found the most recommended activity was to get a bunch of dried items such as beans or lentils and then a bunch of bowls / scoops / cups and watch your kid go to town.

I figured we'd get maybe 15 minutes of entertainment from this.


But fifteen minutes is fifteen minutes so I asked The Man to visit bulk foods on his trip to the store and buy a bag of whatever was cheapest. He came home with one dollar's worth of popcorn kernels.

Two hours Saturday afternoon, and an hour this morning, not to mention a fun family corn popping last night after dinner, I consider $0.25 an hour money well spent for entertainment.

Despite the fact that right now as I write this, there is a corn kernel between my toes. And I just know that, six months from now, I will sit on this couch nursing a baby and see my cat chasing something about the floor -- a corn kernel he's unearthed from God knows where. We'll never get it all again.

Ah well. Still. Time well spent.

No comments: